Internap at a Glance
Internap (NASDAQ: INAP) provides performance-optimized IT infrastructure services that enable our customers to focus on their core business, improve service levels and lower the cost of IT operations. Our colocation, connectivity and managed hosting solutions are differentiated by unparalleled levels of performance, availability and support. Since 1996, thousands of enterprises have entrusted Internap to deliver their business-critical IT infrastructure needs.
Then and now, our mission has been to provide best-in-class IT infrastructure services that enable enterprises to focus on their businesses, improve service levels and lower the cost of IT operations. Through our investment in technology, innovation, business processes and people, we provide unparalleled levels of performance, availability and support.
When Time is Money
Introduction to Internap (video)
- Founded in 1996
- Global headquarters in Atlanta
- NASDAQ (INAP)
- 2,700+ enterprise customers
- 400+ employees
- 18 offices worldwide (12 in North America, 6 in EMEA and APAC)
- Revenue (2009): $256M
You likely face challenges each day to improve your IT business models. We offer solutions that enable you to provide the optimized experience for your customers. Our patented route optimization technology, Managed Internet Route Optimizer™ (MIRO), overcomes network performance issues such as latency and congestion, so that online retail, eCommerce, SaaS, cloud computing and other companies can deliver business value unimpeded by IT performance issues. Here are a few examples of the things we help companies to do every day:
- A streaming video site wants to grow to be a daily source of consumer entertainment. Every time a video goes viral on the site, our Content Delivery Network (CDN) provides the capacity-on-demand to handle the resulting traffic spikes, and the network performance to deliver the best possible video quality for all viewers.
- When a start-up delivers its solution in an on-demand cloud network approach, our unparalleled network performance and reliability provides the service transparency and performance to deliver the application to thousands of end-users every day without employing a huge support staff. We do this seamlessly and can scale with the customer’s growth.
- A popular eCommerce business focuses on enhancing its offerings in the marketplace. They choose Internap because they can rely on our experienced solutions architects to design and tailor their Managed Hosting solution, matching customers’ growth at every step.
- Millions of globally-networked gamers compete with each other around the clock. Each of them enjoys the highest-quality gaming experience because of the way our network services and CDN actively navigate around Internet roadblocks and scale to provide needed capacity.
- A groundbreaking company is exploring new opportunities unburdened by the investment costs and expertise required to design, build and manage data center assets. With access to Internap’s extensive data center infrastructure and managed services, it can focus on delivering services to target audiences faster, more cost-effectively and with greater flexibility than is possible with corporate-owned assets.
By addressing common performance inhibitors like network latency, inadequate resources to meet peak usage needs, poor storage and server capacity and slow resolution of service issues, Internap helps enterprises alleviate the operational risk associated with their IT infrastructure. Key customer benefits include:
- Reduce customer care cost
- Reduce Total Cost of Ownership (TCO)
- Realize new revenue streams
- Maximize transaction opportunities
- Improve end-user experience/service levels, which can result in lower churn rates
- Increase efficiencies/optimized use of internal resources focus on core business activities
Since our inception, we have focused on supporting the Internet evolution and keeping pace with the needs and challenges of our customers.
1996 – 1998: Internap was established to improve the performance of Internet-based applications. Internap’s founders recognized the inherent problems that existed in communicating over the Internet and believed that data could be routed faster, more reliably and accurately than through traditional hand-offs used by the majority of Network Service Providers. They saw in the Internet’s protocol, TCP/IP, the opportunity for a system so ubiquitous that it could support universal communications ranging from corporate networking to telephony. Standing between this vision and reality was the rigid manner in which backbones exchanged data traffic with one another. This was the problem Internap first sought to overcome. The end result was its patented MIRO technology that dynamically chooses the optimal path for business-critical applications.
1998 – 2002: The popularity of new applications over the Internet, such as gaming, advertising and the convenience of large file transfers put new and unpredictable demands on the Internet backbone. We were there with solutions that integrated MIRO into Colocation and Managed Hosting, solutions that offered improved levels of performance, and alternative approaches to implementing new business models in a more cost-effective manner.
2002 – 2007: Streaming media, VoIP, eLearning and the evolution of social networking gained momentum quickly and again changed traffic patterns, traffic types and the importance of predictable network performance. Our entry into the CDN arena meant we were the only provider offering our proprietary blend of high performance IT infrastructure and route optimization, together with solutions to deliver rich content, media and applications.
2007 – 2010: Recently, the explosion of new uses for mobility, social networks and Web 3.0 business models such as SaaS, hosting and cloud computing, along with the mainstream acceptance of streaming media, Video on Demand (VOD) and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV), are challenging traditional broadcast channels and creating new revenue streams. That’s why we continue to enhance our portfolio with new products, services and technologies, so any business dependent on online success can use the Internet to entertain, deliver, inform and connect with confidence and peace of mind.
We continue to invest heavily in R&D to provide the innovation and solutions required to power high-performance Internet-based applications. We currently hold sixteen U.S. patents and five foreign corresponding patents, with others pending.