White PaperNext-Generation Colocation
Data Center Fire Prevention & Suppression
Internap colocation data centers are equipped with industry leading fire detection and control systems.
We’ve implemented several preventive measures and policies to help mitigate the risk of fire and smoke events, including:
- Storage of combustible materials such as cardboard, flammable liquids and other hazardous materials is prohibited in customer cages or cabinets. Combustible materials that must remain on site are maintained in a separate area designated for storage.
- Internap uses a combination of Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) systems, batteries and transformers in all of our facilities to protect against electrical surges and sags that can spark fires.
- “Daisy chaining” of power strips or overloading circuits in any way is never allowed.
- For data center fire suppression, we employ a pre-action dry pipe system that is zoned to deploy only in affected areas of the facility. A pressurization mechanism prevents the system from engaging accidentally.
- Our facilities are equipped with VESDA (Very Early Smoke Detection Apparatus) systems. VESDA uses laser technology to detect particulate matter in the air that may indicate smoldering equipment and is considered to be more effective than standard smoke detection.
- Technical fire detection and suppression systems are reinforced with good old fashioned “walking the floor” by our professional team on a 24/7 basis, who use sight, sound and smell to detect potential problems at each colocation data center.